Tuesday, April 10, 2012

How I know I'm old and Laura is REALLY young

So two things happened tonight in the course of a normal evening. First, we went to the back yard and played on our swing set. Laura told me, "Go faster, Mommy!" To which, I automatically replied, "Faster! Faster! We need another master!!" "Um, Mommy, why you say that?" Oh, gee. Merry-go-rounds don't exist on playgrounds anymore. I guess Laura wouldn't have heard that at school. Long explanation ensues. Laura's eyes would have glazed over if the wind from the swing would have let them. She didn't really care. The etiquette of merry-go-rounds is only important to me now. Second, when it was bath time, I made up a silly song, like normal. Except I had inspiration this time and it wasn't a Dora tune. It was the Batman Theme Song. Just with "bathtime!" at the end instead of "Batman!" Laura's smart enough to know I ripped the tune off of somewhere, but she had NO idea where. "Mommy, where you get that song? I not 'member it." My first thought was that I'd failed as a geek parent. My second was, "Only the new series is in our house, and there is NO WAY I'm going to let her first Heath Ledger experience be The Joker at age four! She already has nightmares as it is." I'm going to have to dig up the cheesy tv series from the '50s or '60s. The ones that actually splashed "BAM!" across the screen. Wait! Just how old does that make me that that's what I remember from my childhood? Well, I was born in the '80s, but VCRs were wonderfully cutting edge.

Either way you slice it, big chunks of my childhood are simply missing from the world my daughter lives in. I wonder how often my mom felt like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment